Thursday, January 22, 2009

I won!



The winner of the 55DSL x Cut&Paste logo remix competition was announced this week. It just so happens that the winner is none other than yours truly, Jake Hollomon. Below is the link to the winners page, as well as my official response.
55DSL Logo Remix Competition announcement

"It's surreal that I won. I'm honored to be chosen from amongst all of the worldwide entries. For the challenge, I wanted to create an image that would draw the viewer into its complexity, and then reward them for sticking around for a bit. I purposefully avoided any solid shapes, instead, building up the gestalt sense of a solid mass with baroque linework. Once I had my direction I improvised on the theme over the template of the logo. The hands are there to give the piece a human element. They represent the fact that although the output is digital, the thought and work that go into it are very human. Above all though I want to convey a sense of fun, because that's what drew me to the world of graphic communication in the first place.

I'm blown away that I was picked by such a talented and diverse panel of judges. These are juggernauts in their respective fields. As a devout follower of visual culture I have an immense level of respect for these guys. It takes a lot of hard work and raw creativity to get to their level. I tried not to think about the judges too much while designing, because in the end the piece has to appeal to the final panel of judges: the people. That being said, I'm just blown away at this point. These are all creatives of the highest caliber.

I can't wait to see the 55DSL 2010 collection that my piece will be a part of. To see my work around the world is the best thing I could ask for. I'm a clothing junkie to be honest, I can't wait to rock my shirt! I really hope this allows me to do more work within the apparel industry.

I need to thank my Dad for giving me my work ethic and creative eye, Pacific Northwest College of Art for giving me an education, the city of Portland Oregon for giving me continued inspiration and my family (especially my grandparents) for supporting all of my creative endeavors.

Cheers!"

-Jake

1 comment:

leigh ann said...

congrats, jake! i'm so happy for you! your design is seriously rad.

About Me

My photo
I am a sketchbook addict. I live for the moment that the ink sits wet on the paper.